Saturday, September 1, 2012

Because I can read...


Because I can read, I do!

I love books. Real books. The ones that you can touch, hold, turn the pages and smell. Yes, books have a smell, all good readers know that. 

In the past I have gone through phases where I would read a huge amount and then not read for a long while. Regardless of my current reading status, I would always buy more books. I was one of “those” people. We have a wall full of books I have not yet read. And now it seems they will never be read. At least not by me. 

I was given a kindle for Christmas. Since that time I have not been able to read an actual book. I swear to you that it was not my intention. As I explained, I LOVE books. I truly believed that a kindle (or e-book reader, as I am sure they are all much the same) could never replace an actual book. There is something about lying around, turning a page that is soothing.  I really thought that the kindle would be something that I used from time to time, always going back to my trusty physical books. Well that has not happened. I have even purchased an eBook of a book that I have sitting on the bookshelf (sorry darling husband… you did buy me the kindle!). Somehow I have become very comfortable gently clicking through the pages. 

I love the fact that I can carry my kindle, without any significant weight, with me anywhere.  I have hundreds of books downloaded and almost never spend more than $5, and so many classics are free (although I do always check the price of actual books and recently have had to boycott one of my favourite authors as she is charging more for her eBook than the print edition). I had a really clever idea recently to download some of the free kids’ classics for my son to read. I quickly realised the error of my ways when he actually tried to read them (i.e. I was unable to use my kindle as he was using it… oops!).

I also can read anything I want without being judged on what I am reading. I appreciate that this may not concern some people; however I really like escaping with trash sometimes and frankly don’t always feel the need to share this with everyone.  I am also one of those people who can happily read a few books at once – and now I can carry those books with me everywhere. Depending on my mood I may read anything from a classic, to a romance or a motivational non-fiction. 

I have not had a long pause of non-reading this year. I can’t say for sure that it is because of my kindle, but having so much choice and being able to start another book within seconds of the last, does seem to keep me reading.  This year is the National Year of Reading, so pick up a book, pick up the newspaper, a comic or your eReader and read. Read for yourself, read for your kids and read just because it is a great thing to do.

Do you own an eReader? Do you still read physical books?

No comments:

Post a Comment